Friday 18 September 2015

MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT STROKE PART2

I decided to write today (after being on break for so long!) because my senior registrar encouraged me to do so. Who knows? This might actually help someone.

I will conclude misconceptions about stroke and hopefully move on to other topics. The story below is however fictional and bears no resemblance to anyone living or dead. It is strictly the writer's creation.

Thanks so much for your time. God bless.


I was sleeping peacefully in my bed on a beautiful Saturday morning. I had planned to stay in bed for as long as was possible. After all the wake-me-I-wake-you of the week, I was looking forward to waking up long after the cock crowed. I even locked my bedroom as I didn't want intrusions from any piked hehehehehehe. I'm sure mothers know what I mean. Hehehehehehe. My people, the sleep was "sweeeeet". In fact I was dreaming about being on vacation in Italy when I was woken up by blaring sirens in the neighbourhood.



Oooooooohhhh God! I said. What kind of ridiculous rubbish was this one nah. These police people sha no go allow people sleep jeje, I fumed. I peered out my window to see what the matter was ( I could see what was going on from my window of course), and I noticed the street was filled with people shouting 'mo gbe', ' I don die o', and putting their hand s on their heads ( you know as Yoruba people dey do nah). Curiosity got the better of me and I went out to do some 'gbeborun'.


I moved down a few houses to see what was actually going on. It was hard to move through people but I eventually got to the root of the matter. Ok, pause. Let me give you some background "info" there was a hotel close by. It enjoyed patronage from all sorts of people. I mean from church seminars to bachelor's parties to Friday night gigs etc. Ok now "unpause" or is it play! I don't know o. I'm not an English major. Na aproko I dey do. Hehehehehehe.


To cut the long story short, a man was dead and a woman was  semi-naked and beaten with her clothes torn into shreds. I was moved with pity and being a doctor ( for that matter), I quickly identified myself to the police and they gave me audience ( of course, what do you think). I was told that the man, who was in his fifties had gone in to the hotel the previous night with  the much younger lady. According to witnesses ( ask me if anyone of them was actually there), while having sex, the man suddenly somersaulted , coughed and died. The woman must have been laced with "Magun". ( Magun in Yoruba culture is a deadly charm used on promiscuous women to bring shame and pin murder on them, oogun elenu gongo, no be small thing)



In view of this, the lady was beaten, scratched, abused physically and verbally by bystanders. It was an unpalatable sight to behold. The police was called in by the hotel manager to manage the situation and the lady was arrested for questioning and taken away. The ambulance was called in, the man was certified dead and was taken to mortuary. I however suggested an autopsy as it would clarify the actual cause of death as stroke was my first differential diagnosis.


My neighbours had a field day that fateful day. Different versions of the gist were flying around. Some even came to meet me to ask what information I was able to gather for dissemination but I locked myself in. I was so sad because I remembered the Bible verse that said, " my people perish for lack of knowledge ". But wetin man pikin go do nah. Life must go on..........


Cheers...






2 comments:

  1. That's serious. There's an urgent call to come out of ignorance though, I hope we can be educated more about it. From d 1st n second story, does it mean dt Stress causes Stroke? Thanks Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete