Tuesday 27 September 2016

DRUG ABUSE IN THE YOUTHS

When @Jidedurowoju told me to write something about #DrugAbuse, what came to my mind was the number of youths I had managed or treated for drug abuse. I didn't want to write stories about my patients, so, I was at loss for what to write.
 My friend, @AuntyAyo pounced on me and gave me a bashing for not writing in a long while. I told her to write a story on #DrugAbuseinTheYouth. She said No, but that she would give me the framework of what to write. It's the idea she gave me that brought about the story that I am telling today. I hope it touches one or two people.

Special thanks to @Jide and @AuntyAyo for the inspiration.



"Today, the award of the best graduating pupil goes to Master Dele Taiwo. Not only has he won all the prizes in his class, he has also been a very well behaved boy. I wish we had award for behavior", said the head teacher. "Please, join me in welcoming Dele to the podium as we all stand up and give him a round of applause."

As Dele stepped forward the tenth time to collect his award, his parents held themselves as their hearts swelled up with pride. Their son, only their son got all the prizes. Dele was a model child. He was always the best in all his classes. He even got the best results in the Common Entrance Examination. He had already gotten admission into one the best Unity Schools in Nigeria. They were all excited as preparations were going on for his resumption at the boarding school.


Was Dele happy? Yes he was. If someone were to 'ride a horse in his belly right now, it would be a smooth ride'. He was now a Secondary school student. He said to himself, " I am no longer a pupil, I am a student. I will soon be away to school where I can do my own thing just like an adult. Infact, I can not wait."

Weeks gave way into months. The long vacation was over. It was time to go to school. The whole family went with him. Mom couldn't help but shed some tears when leaving. Dele however couldn't be bothered as he raced back to his hostel beaming with smiles. His joy was cut short when a senior student called him aside and collected his fine wristwatch. Tears welled in his eyes and he ran to his dorm, climbed the bunk and curled up in bed. He missed home already.


"What is this one doing here, ehn? How can you be sleeping in the afternoon when there is so much work to be done," yelled the dorm prefect. "Oya, I,m closing my eyes now, before I open it again, you must have 'vamoosed.'" Reluctantly, Dele got up from bed, picked a broom and joined the other junior boys to clean the hostel.

"Ajebo, oo ti mo meme! Na school you dey now o,you better wise up", said one of the boys. "See him crying like a girl", another one chuckled and the other boys started making fun of him. He hated this school already. How would he tell his parents that he no longer wanted to stay. Maybe if he pretended to be ill, he might be sent back home.

"A kobo for your thoughts bro, my name is Yemi. I'm in JS 3. Don't mind all these yeye boys. You should have seen them on their first day here. They looked lost. Don't worry about them. I will take care of you." It was very nice to finally get someone to watch out for one in this big hostile school, Dele thought. "My name is Dele. Thank you very much."

The duo soon became friends. They walked to the dinning area and classes together. They met under the mango tree every evening. Yemi tutored Dele on the Rules of Engagement in the school and hostel especially concerning seniors and teachers. The school was beginning to be good after all.

One day, after class, Dele decided to check on Yemi at the JS3 block. When he got to Yemi's class, there was no one there. As he turned to leave, he heard some murmurings behind the class. He decided to peep from the window. What he saw made him shout "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa". That drew the attention of the boys behind the class and they dragged Dele into their midst. His friend was the ringleader. He told Dele point blank, "since you have seen us, you have become one of us." He said,"this is cigarette, this is Igbo, take your pick. This is what makes us brilliant in class. This is what makes the seniors to exempt us from work. Now that you have joined us, you don become big boy niyen."


To cut a long story short, that was how Dele started taking drugs of abuse. By the time he got to Senior class, he couldn't reason well if he didn't smoke weed. He later added other 'over the counter drugs' like cough syrup, Tramadol. Whenever he couldn't afford to buy the drugs, he would sneak into the Teachers' Staff room to steal glues and gums. He was a real mess. His grades were dropping. He was beginning to see double. Recently, he started seeing his late grandmother talking to him every time. In fact, right now she just told him to start picking papers in the gutter and also to drink the gutter water. What would he do, he had to obey his grandmother nah, if it were someone else, he would have raked very well. The gutter was tempting o, maybe he should even sleep inside. But Grandma no talk that one o.



 Epilogue
Dele's parents were summoned and he was taken to a psychiatric hospital where he is currently receiving treatment. 



Thanks for reading this peace. Part 2 will come shortly by God's grace. I will try to explain #DrugAbuse. I have to read now. See you on this page again soon. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment